Sunday 2 August 2009

Blue Square North 2009/10 - Season 1

So new game, new team - the lure of FC United was enough to drag me away from Marine (who didn't come up anyway).

Straight away the challenge seems harder - hardly anyone wanted to sign for FC United, most youngsters either ending up going to Ireland or retiring at the end of the season.

Transfers - The first five players into the club were all signed by the previous manager with transfers arranged for the 1st July, with me only able to add 5 more new faces, neither of them first teamers.

Luckily I managed to bring in some key players on loan - PNE DC Dominic Collins for 3 months, and with Man Utd as a parent team AMR/FC Antonio Bryan and MC Corry Evans arrived for the season, whilst later in the season Adam Chapman and Matthew James came in for 3 month loans at centre-back.

Whilst mid-season I brought two quality strikers in on loan for three months - Daniel Broadbent from Huddersfield and Anderw Osei-Siribour from Port Vale - both of them bringing much needed firepower to my side taking the pressure off Kyle Wilson, though neither would extend their loan past three months, leaving me to grind out results at the end of the season.

A single Kyle Wilson goal was enough to beat title rivals Barrow 1-0 in April.

Eventually we claimed the title with a game to spare - this is the first time I've ever managed to win promotion in my first season, we normally lose in the playoffs.

We pretty much walked the league, after I'd settled on some tactics and my team had started to gel, thankfully we had few injuries and fewer suspensions (was only two red cards in all of my games this season, neither for me).

The board and fans are both delighted witht me, I can get used to that :)

Title Winning Squad - Whilst the core of my team is strong, squad depth is weak in several positions.

Both my Keepers Michael Jones and Adam Jameson are solid at the back, whilst also picking up several assists from long punts down field.

In Defence right back Simon Spender was a great capture from Wrexham, whilst left back Alex Skidmore is one of the best original players, in central defence capatain Robert Nugent was partnered by a loan signing.

Midfield was our strongest position thanks to Man Utd youngsters Antonio Bryan and Corry Evans (who now likes both me and the club, so he'll never be coming back :(), left winger Jack Compton is highly rated, with another Welshman Matty Crowell partnered Evans in the middle.

Upfront Kyle Wilson is pretty much my only Striker and he did well grabbing 20 goals.

Youngsters:

Neil Swift - Highley rated by my staff with a league two potential, and managed to hold his own in the cups, more appearances were limited due to the fact that the left side is the strongest side of my team.
Phil Peacock - did ok, mainly used as sub to rest Wilson.


Confidence Screen - Board are delighted with the BSN Title

Club Info - The board/fans were so delighted that I even made the fav list after the first season - lets see if I ever become a legend.

Snapshot - we actually made money, due to having the highest attendance in the league and a good cup run in the FA Trophy making it to the 4th round before losing to BSP side Mansfield.

Season Summary - We claim the overachievers award, whilst right back Spender and midfielder Crowell win signings of the season (shame I didn't actually sign either of them).

Best XI - Which I'd agree with for a change.

I was also linked with the Wrexham job during the season, which I think nearly everyone has been offered.

Hopefully with the promotion to the BSP I'll be able to attract some players to the club, as I really need a centre-back, a central midfielder, right winger and one or two strikers - that will need to be loaned or signed, luckily with promotion confirmed the board have allowed me 3 scouts and 5 coaches - so I've managed to bring in some good scouts to scout players, and some coaches to boost my training upto 3/4 stars.